Monday, April 7, 2008

And the Lucky lady is...

Charlene Easter!!!
Here is her journaling:
I'm lucky, I have a great husband. But if Lenard hadn't been so lucky, I would not have had even one date with him. Lenard's lucky because he survived a terrible car accident. It was his fault, DUI, only him, on an icy Jan. night. He rolled his truck, the roof was smashed in. He broke his neck. He broke a very important bone on C2 the odontoid process. This part enables your head to turn side to side. Here's where the luck really comes in. The doctor told him he broke it in the most awful way, flush, straight across. He should have died or at least been paralyzed from the neck down. He was put in a halo to stabilize his neck and spine. Four screws went straight into his skull. He was only in the hospital for three days. He stayed with his parents for the next three months. He finally convinced his mom to let him go home to his own house. I started dating him not long after that. In the middle of April he was supposed to have surgery to fuse C1 and C2 together. He had a pre-op CT scan, more luck here, the bone was healing! So the doctor decided to leave him alone and continue to check on him once a month. In August the halo was removed and Lenard had to wear another brace, no screws. In October that brace was taken off. He was completely healed. He could turn his head, slowly at first, he was a bit apprehensive. A month later he proposed. Lucky Me!

Thank you everyone for entering! Here are the other entries: Becky

Jill

Mindy
Stay tuned for your next challenge (and inspiration)...

2 comments:

Kim said...

Congrats Charlene! I think that sometimes lucky, is just blessed in disquise....

Charlene E. said...

I know Kim, I do secretly say that God was surely watching over him that night. But since he doesn't believe in a higher power, we say he was lucky. It worked for the challenge. I hope that doesn't disquilify me, LOL!

I am so so happy I finally won. Lenard said I should go out on top and retire from scrapbooking. Totally NOT going to happen!